Friday, February 11, 2011

Breast Pumps

Have you been trying to figure out how your going to pay for a Breast Pump? New from the IRS...

Breast pumps and lactation-assistance supplies are now eligible for reimbursement under flexible spending arrangements and health savings accounts, according to Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Announcement 2011-14, released February 10.

The announcement reverses the IRS's previous position that breastfeeding equipment did not qualify as "medical care" under Code section 213(d). Analogizing breast pumps and related supplies to obstetric care, the IRS noted that both "are for the purpose of affecting a structure or function of the body of the lactating woman." Expenses in this category are now eligible for the itemized deduction for medical expenses under Code section 213, and may be reimbursed through flexible spending arrangements, health savings accounts, health reimbursement arrangements, and Archer medical savings accounts.

1 comment: